Brandy Station Foundation
Solidifies Graffiti House status
Congratulations to our friends at the Brandy Station Foundation, who have fully paid off the mortgage for the Graffiti House, the historic 1858 structure the foundation operates as a visitor center and museum. BSF president William Truitt announced the exciting news on April 21, 2017, at the organization’s annual banquet to much excitement from the gathered members and partner groups.
Purchased in 2002, the Graffiti House was built immediately adjacent to the railroad tracks, in the vicinity of the train stop that gave the community of Brandy Station its name. Local legend holds that the structure was actively used as a hospital by both armies throughout the war — a claim borne out by the dozens of identifiable and attributable signatures discovered on walls throughout the structure, including that of Confederate Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart. The scribbles and sketches constitute a one-of-a-kind historic resource that will, undoubtedly, be a centerpiece of the Brandy Station–Cedar Mountain State Park proposal gaining momentum in the local community and the Richmond statehouse.
Reprinted with permission: Civil War Trust - www.civilwar.org